It is important for humans to have all the essential nutrients to maintain good health. A balanced diet supplies all these sufficient nutrients to our body. In today’s lifestyle, it is hard to eat a balanced diet and a lot of people take one or more dietary supplements to ensure they get enough nutrients.
These supplements mostly come in capsule or powder form. But don’t you think instead of taking those capsules it is better to go with natural herbs which also have the same benefits but no side effects.
Here is the list of natural supplements you can include in your diet for overall health.
Ashwagandha has been used in India and the middle east for over 3000 years, as a natural medicine for treating many diseases including anxiety and depression. Different parts of the Ashwagandha plant have different properties and are used to treat conditions accordingly.
Ashwagandha plant roots, leaves, seeds, and flowers all have their own benefits and are available in the market as supplements in powder form and in capsules.
- Manage Stress: Ashwagandha is one of the best natural supplements that can help your body to manage stress and make you feel younger both physically and mentally.
- Reduce Anxiety: It is classified as an adaptogen that helps to lower the stress hormone levels and hence reduces anxiety and depression.
- Weight management: Studies have found that it can reduce food cravings in patients with chronic stress and can boost energy levels, which helps in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Hormonal imbalance: Hormonal imbalance is a major cause of many health issues in women like PCOD, PCOS, fertility-related problems, irregular periods, and sexual dysfunction. Ashwagandha is a highly effective remedy for most of these health issues.
Consuming Ashwagandha root powder can help the body to resist physical, chemical, and biological stressors and is a natural energy booster.
2. Spikenard / Nardostachya jatamansi:
Nardostachya jatamansi is a perennial herb belonging to the valerian family. The herb mainly grows in the mountain ranges of the Himalayas. It is also the source of aromatic spikenard essential oil which is used as a perfume, in religious ceremonies and traditional medicines since ancient times.
- Jatamansi acts as a natural nervine tonic and a memory booster. In Ayurvedic medicines, it has been used as a neuroprotective agent for treating hysteria, epilepsy, and insomnia.
- The herb has a calming and relaxing effect and therefore can be used as natural supplements for anxiety.
- It also possesses antidepressant properties and therefore helps in treating psychological disorders like depression, mental fatigue, panic disorders, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Not many people know about it and is hard to find too but it is worth the search.
3. Holy Basil/ Tulsi:
Holy basil is different from the sweet basil you normally use to make sauces and soups.
Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) is an herb that is used widely in Ayurveda to treat a range of ailments and is considered a tonic for the mind and body.
- Fight Depression: Tulsi is one of the best natural supplements for depression and anxiety. This aromatic herb can act as an adaptogen that helps your mind to tackle stress and promote mental balance.
- According to the Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine, holy basil has anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties like any other antidepressant drugs.
- Drinking tulsi tea daily can help people to feel less anxious and may also help reduce the risk of cholesterol and blood pressure. One can call it a miracle herb for blood pressure.
- From leaves to seeds, every part of tulsi is used for treating many conditions like
- fresh flower for bronchitis
- leaves and seeds, with black pepper, for malaria.
- The essential oil from leaves for insect bites.
- Ointment for eczema.
- Whole plant for diarrhea, nausea.
- There are some studies that suggest saffron could be an effective intervention for treating symptoms of anxiety and depression. It has been reported that saffron and its constituents own antidepressant properties similar to the drugs like fluoxetine and citalopram but with no side effects.
- Therefore, it can be a safe and effective natural supplement for treating depression.
- Saffron may also help to relieve the symptoms of PMS (Pre-Menstrual Symptoms).
- Researchers have found that saffron and its active components have the ability to inhibit cells that have become cancerous without any impact on healthy cells.
- In recent studies, it has been found that saffron extract is useful in treating age-related mental impairment such as memory loss, Parkinson’s, and inflammation.
- Saffron is a stimulant tonic and is very effective in cold and fever.
- It can improve the eyesight in adults with AMD (age-related macular degeneration) and protects against free radicals.
- Saffron has a unique flavor and is easy to include in the diet. It goes well with both sweet and savory dishes and gives richness and yellow color to the dish.
- Saffron is available on the market in form of strands and powder. I personally feel it is best to buy saffron strands as there are fewer chances of them being adulterated.
Chamomile is a well-known herb and used widely to make herbal infusions and medicines. It has been used as a natural supplement for anxiety and settles stomachs for ages.
- Most people consume chamomile as a relaxing drink in the form of tea. It relaxes the nerves and promotes good sleep. Because it soothes the nervous system it helps to treat insomnia. It is caffeine-free and therefore drinking chamomile tea just before sleep is a good idea to have a good sleep. It is the easiest and best herbal remedy for anxiety.
- The researchers found that long-term use of chamomile, can significantly reduce anxiety and can fight against depression.
- The herb is non-addictive and has no known side effects, while the pharmaceutical drugs are mostly addictive in nature.
- Chamomile is full of antioxidants and protects the skin from free radicals. It also accelerates the cells regeneration and therefore slows the aging process.
Moringa is considered as the miracle tree and life tree as it contains a variety of valuable nutrients including amino acids. Out of 20 total amino acids, Moringa contains 18, including all 9 essential amino acids. Otherwise, most of the plant-based protein is amino deficient and only contains 7 essential amino acids.
- Arthritis Relief: Moringa is rich in vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that help to reduce the pain, swelling and repair the joints.
- Anti-Cancer: Moringa leaves are rich in polyphenols and polyflavonoids, which are antioxidants and have potential anticancer properties.
- Stomach problems: Moringa leaves have antimicrobial and antibiotic properties that may help inhibit the various pathogens that can cause digestive upset.
- Asthma: There are some studies that prove that the extract of moringa seeds to be as effective as the pharmaceutical drug and without any side effects. It also controls allergic disorders by blocking the release of histamine.
- Other Benefits: Benefits related to the moringa plant are numerous. Some of those are good for the eyes, promote a healthy heart, reduce inflammation, and many more.
7. Giloy / Tinospora cordifolia:
Tinospora Cordifolia is a shrub that has been used in Ayurveda for a very long time. Other common names are Giloy, Heart-leaved moonseed, Gudichi. Because of its numerous medicinal benefits, it is also named Amrita, which means the root of immortality.
The stem of giloy is of maximum utility but leaves and roots can also be used to treat multiple conditions. Recently plant has gained more attention to many clinical researches because of its reported medicinal properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, anti-arthritis, anti-diabetic, anti-malarial, immunomodulatory properties. And that too with no side effect or little as compared to any other drugs.
- Giloy is packed with antioxidants and helps remove toxins, purifies blood, fight infections, fight against free radicals, keep cells healthy, and get rid of diseases. It is used by experts to treat lever and heart-related issues.
- It is highly beneficial in case of recurring fevers, hay fevers and because of its antipyretic nature, it can reduce the symptoms of life-threatening diseases like malaria, dengue, swine flu.
- It can help to reduce high blood sugar levels and can be included in the list of natural supplements for high blood pressure.
- Giloy has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis properties, so helps in reducing symptoms related to arthritis.
Turmeric is a brightly yellow-colored spice used throughout Asian countries in cooking or as natural medicine. The primary active component of turmeric is curcumin, which is responsible for its bright yellow color and its potential health benefits.
Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory: Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers have found, curcumin present in turmeric, safe and effective way to reduce inflammation. As some chronic diseases like arthritis and pancreatitis are the result of chronic inflammation, turmeric can help to treat and reduce the symptoms.
Healthy heart: There are some studies that prove that curcumin has the potential to improve the endothelial function or the health of the thin membrane that lines the inside of the heart and blood vessels. This membrane plays an important role in regulating blood pressure.
Anti-Cancer: Consuming turmeric daily may reduce the chances of cancer in people who are at high risk of having cancer. A lot of studies are ongoing to see the potential of this natural supplement on cancer and some suggest that it can contribute to the death of cancerous cells and reduce the spread of cancer.
Skin diseases: Because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it can be an effective natural supplement for treating various skin disorders like hyperpigmentation, acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
Acid Reflux: Acid reflux is the cause of Inflammation and oxidative stress and anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties are required to treat it. Turmeric has both therefore can be one of the effective natural supplements for acid reflux.
Turmeric is safe to consume and can be used in cooking. You can add turmeric in soup, curry, rice while cooking. Turmeric is one of those natural supplements that you can consume on daily basis in your diet without any side effects.
Check this out: 9 Different Ways To Incorporate Turmeric in Diet
Ginger is a flowering plant and has a very long history of use in the form of traditional medicines. The main bioactive compound of ginger is Gingerol, which is also responsible for its medicinal properties.
- Ginger has powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties and can fight against free radicals in the body.
- There are many studies that prove ginger, an effective natural supplement to soothe nausea and vomiting. It is highly beneficial in nausea related to pregnancy, like morning sickness.
- Ginger is also beneficial in losing weight and could help reduce body mass index (BMI) and insulin levels in the blood.
- There are some studies that suggest ginger be a very effective natural supplement for reducing symptoms of osteoarthritis (degeneration of joints).
- Ginger can help in treating chronic indigestion and related stomach issues. It can reduce the chances of stomach acid flowing up into the esophagus. Ginger has strong anti-inflammatory properties and is a very effective natural remedy for acid reflux.
- It can also help in relieving menstrual pain.
- Ginger has abilities to fight against infections and can inhibit the growth of bacteria.
Garlic is another herb that has been used since ancient times to treat many medical conditions. Garlic grows in many parts of the world and is widely included in cooking because of its strong smell and distinctive taste.
- The nutritional value of garlic is very high and contains a little bit of almost everything you need.
- Garlic is known to boost immunity and can reduce the recovery time of common illnesses like cold flu.
- Consuming high doses of garlic as natural supplements can help to maintain healthy cholesterol levels by lowering LDL levels.
- High doses of garlic supplement have a significant impact on reducing blood pressure in people suffering from high blood pressure. Therefore, including garlic in your diet can be one of the effective natural supplements for high blood pressure.
- Garlic contains antioxidants and protects the body against oxidative damage such as stress, high blood pressure.
- Sulfur compounds in garlic have shown results of reducing toxin levels in the blood and related symptoms, such as headaches, high blood pressure.
Spirulina is blue-green-colored algae that grow in water. It is believed to be one of the oldest forms of life on earth. Spirulina is rich in nutrients and minerals. It is supposed to have protein levels comparable to eggs and is considered one of the superfoods available.
- Detoxifier: Spirulina is a powerful detoxifier that helps in removing toxins from the body. It is a powerhouse of antioxidants which makes it an effective anti-toxic.
- Improve Immunity: Adding spirulina can significantly increase the production of infection-fighting cytokines. It also increases the hemoglobin content of red blood cells and helps to improve immunity.
- Anticancer: Spirulina also possesses anticancer properties and is especially effective against precancerous mouth lesions (OSMF).
- Lower Blood pressure: Spirulina can help to lower the blood pressure levels which otherwise leads to many chronic diseases.
- Plant-based protein: Spirulina is a great source of protein and can be included in the diet as a plant-based natural supplement to fulfill the body’s protein requirements.
- Control Blood Sugar: Some studies suggest that spirulina can help to reduce sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
The root of the licorice plant has a long history of treating various ailments and flavor drinks, candies, and medicines.
- Stomach problems: Licorice root extract is very helpful to treat upset stomach, indigestion, heartburn, and acid reflux.
- Asthma: Licorice root has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects that help to relieve upper respiratory conditions like asthma.
- Sore throat: Licorice extract or licorice tea may protect against strep throat and prevent sore throat.
- Reduce menopause symptoms: Licorice root extract can also help to reduce hot flashes which is a common symptom of menopause.
Wheatgrass is nothing but a young wheat plant. It is thick, bright green colored grass with a bulk of the nutritional value. It contains few calories but is rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, and enzymes.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory: Antioxidants present in wheatgrass can help to remove toxins from the body. If toxins remain in the body, they can result in oxidative stress. It can also help to fight inflammation in the body, which can be the cause of many chronic diseases in the future.
- Cancer prevention: There are some studies that suggest that wheatgrass can cause cancer cells to die or slow down the growth of cancer cells. Researchers have also concluded that wheatgrass can also boost the effectiveness of chemotherapy and reduce its side effects.
- Gut health: Fiber content in wheatgrass is high that is important to keep the gut healthy. It can be an effective natural supplement to treat minor stomach problems such as diarrhea, gastric disorder, stomach pain, and digestive problems.
- Reduce cholesterol levels: Adding wheatgrass to a healthy diet can also help to lower the total cholesterol levels by increasing the HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
- Wheatgrass is easy to include in the diet, in juice, powder, or supplement form. You can also add it to a salad or can make a tea of it.
Some other practices to know how to Detox Body, Mind, and Emotions to accomplish Good Health. Click here